||Member Training Program (Public)
||Friday, March 24, 2017, 08:30 to 17:00
||AmCham Shanghai Conference Center Suite 568, Shanghai Centre, 1376 Nanjing Road West
||Member (RMB): 2,650.00
Member Company Employee (RMB): 3,650.00
Non-Member (RMB): 4,650.00
- Bank Transfer
- Pay Online
- In advance at the AmCham
This is a pre-paid event, and seats will not be guaranteed until payment is completed.
Member Training Program: Technical Writing Excellence (Pre-paid)
How do you define good writing? In today's multinational corporate world, having excellent writing skills is a pillar of good communication. Through this highly interactive one day seminar, you will learn the secrets to improving your technical writing skills immensely. Whether it is writing technical reports, proposals, user guides or process documents, your technical writing will reach a new pinnacle. In this seminar, you will learn:
- Designing Your Message
- Choosing your documents SMART goal and designing your story
- Having an audience friendly outline and structure
- Choosing the "Write Voice"
- 3 common voices in business writing and their effect on the reader.
- Adjusting your writing style and tone to create your voice of choice
- Winning Openings
- Why: Writing a background – showing understanding and the current status
- What: Highlighting a scope – what is to be covered
- How: Describing the information collecting process
- What if: Highligting the documents value to its readers
- Deliver the Message
- Finding your scientist voice: passive vs. active
- Simplifying your language: Word economizing, avoiding jargon, concrete vs. abstract words, positive words
- Closing Strong
- Clearly stating your required action. making polite recommendations and requests
- Additional tone tips to make your requests more persuasive
- Image Consciousness
- Format design tips. The value of white space
- Using the fonts and colors that support your goals when technical writing
Who should attend?
- You are a scientist, engineer, marketer, analyst or a member of any other profession who needs to produce technical documents.
- You produce technical documentation including product specifications, data sheets, operating manuals or other process/user documentation.
- You need to communicate complex technical ideas clearly and concisely, so that your audience can understand them easily.
09:00 Morning Session Starts
13:00 Afternoon Session Starts
17:00 Session Ends
About the trainers:
As a certified learning and development professional with 12 years experience, Liam Callaghan is a trainer with a proven track record of providing training that is highly engaging and extremely valuable for today’s workforce. Based in the fast paced multi-cultural city of Shanghai his training is always relevant and culturally aware. His career in China began in 2006 and since then has consistently conducted workshops to groups ranging in size from 1 to 100 helping hundreds improve their professional career by improving their communication. Countless testimonials show that Liam is a trainer who is passionate, knowledgeable, dedicated and can create real change for you or your company. He currently works full-time for Compass Corporate Solutions as a learning & development consultant and senior facilitator.
Mike Ward is a dynamic trainer and facilitator with experience delivering both technical and soft-skills training in more than 20 countries. As a Certified Training Practitioner of the Learning & Performance Institute, he has a proven track record of designing and delivering interactive and engaging training that is of the highest standards.
Mike delivers soft-skills training across a broad range of skills, as well as technical training, specializing in SAP and Microsoft Office products.
- All registrations shall be made online before the session. For full-day sessions, payment also shall be made before the session.
- For full-day sessions, AmCham Shanghai members are eligible to attend at “Member Rate”; Employees who work at AmCham Shanghai member companies are eligible to attend at “Employee Rate”; Non-members are eligible to attend at “Non-Member Rate”.
- Limited spaces are available and attendance will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Members please bring your membership card and non-members bring your business card upon check-in at the training session.
Walk-in and Cancellation Policy:
- This session requires confirmation of attendance in advance. If you attend this session without prior registration, you will be charged an RMB50 "walk-in" fee as member and RMB100 as employee.
- Cancellation: If you need to cancel your registration for a half-day session, please notify Kelly Deng at (86 21) 6279 7119 ext. 4580 or email Kelly.email@example.com no less than 24 hours in advance. If you need to cancel your registration for a full-day session, please notify Kelly Deng at least two weeks prior to the session for a full refund. Cancellation made within two weeks before the session will not be refundable.
- To ensure that you have a seat, please come to the session on time. Open seats will be released to other guests 15 minutes after the session starts.