Member Training Program: Media Spokesperson Skills
At the heart of every company is a message and every message can be transformed into a great story. This session will help participants bring their company’s message to life with real world anecdotes that inspire confidence and demonstrate leadership.
The session begins with Chinese media’s objectives and behavior so that executives understand the lay of the land and the nature of their peers in the media. Then we focus on a valuable skill – story telling.
- Understand how the media works and the unique attributes of the media in China – achieving win/win with journalists
- Develop best practices in working with media
- Learn how to develop messages and tell your story to journalists through the media – creating a message house to focus your communication, building a narrative, and simplifying complex issues
- Practice interview skills in simulations – how to defend against tough questions, stay on message, tell the story you want told, and defend against questions you can’t or won’t answer
Who Should Attend?
The training is for any company executive or subject expert expected to interact with media on behalf of their company
13:15 Session starts
17:00 Session ends
About the Trainer:
Bill Adams is a Senior Vice President of Allison + Partners and leads the firm’s consulting in Shanghai. Bill has over two decades of experience in China, he provides strategic counsel to clients on corporate reputation management, executive profiling, issue/crisis management, and corporate responsibility. Bill’s clients have included multi-national companies, local Chinese enterprises, government departments, and non-governmental organizations.
As a professional trainer Bill has designed and conducted numerous spokesperson workshops, crisis communication trainings, crisis simulations, and facilitated messaging and strategic planning workshops for senior executives and support staff. Bill has thousands of hours of training and teaching experience.
Prior to working in PR, Bill was an analyst of East Asian economic, political and security issues with the private intelligence firm Strategic Forecasting (Stratfor). Bill was also the chief representative of Communications Consulting, a training and human resources consultancy. Bill holds a Masters in Public Affairs and a Masters in Asian Studies from the University of Texas at Austin. He is fluent in Mandarin.
- This training session is open only to AmCham Shanghai members and employees who work at member companies.
- All registrations shall be made online before the session.
- AmCham Shanghai members are eligible to attend the session free of charge with Training Credit*.
- AmCham Shanghai members without Training Credit are eligible to attend the session at “Member Rate.”
Employees who work at AmCham Shanghai member companies are eligible to attend the session at "Employee Rate."
- Limited spaces are available and attendance will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Members please bring your membership card and employees bring your business card upon check-in at the training session.
Walk-in and Cancellation Policy:
- This session requires confirmation of attendance in advance. If you attend this session without prior registration, you will be charged an RMB50 "walk-in" fee as member and RMB100 as employee.
- Cancellation: If you need to cancel your registration, please notify Kelly Deng at (86 21) 6279 7119 ext. 4580 or email Kelly.email@example.com no less than 24 hours in advance.
- To ensure that you have a seat, please come to the session on time. Open seats will be released to other guests 15 minutes after the session starts.
*What is Training Credit?
As an extra offer to all AmCham Shanghai members, each member will be granted with ONE Training Credit with their valid membership term. Members are able to use the Training Credit to register for the training session they are interested in, free of charge. The Training Credit can only be used by the member him/herself. The Training Credit is not transferrable or refundable for cash.